Develop your talent
Members of the ESN have access to LENS (Leadership for Emerging Networks of Schools), a program designed to support the growth and replication of high-performing charter schools by training and developing their leadership bench.
Outstanding ESN school staff with strong leadership potential are encouraged to participate in this yearlong intensive training, which is held primarily over the summer so as to minimize the amount of time key leaders are out of the building during the academic year.
Through comprehensive on-site training, aspiring leaders are exposed to the best practices of the most successful urban charter schools in the country, and they develop the skills they need to think, see, decide, manage and execute as effective leaders in high-performing, no excuses charter schools.
LENS provides robust training in:
- developing a leader’s mindset, lens and voice
- managing strong adult culture by equipping and inspiring adults to perform effectively
- setting appropriate school culture, including arrivals, transitions, thresholds, discipline and classroom systems
- delivering effective instruction, including curriculum, rigor, classroom routines and procedures, and assessment
Components of LENS 2012-2013
- 10-day intensive summer training led by Sue Walsh, BES Chief Academic Officer, from July 8-18, at the BES office in Boston
- 8 full days, 2 half days of training
- Instruction includes video analysis of schools and classrooms in action;
discussion of case studies, articles and research;
guest leaders, principals and teachers from gap-closing schools;
and implementation exercises to practice real scenarios
- Training in Boston starts at 4:00 p.m. on Sun., July 8, and concludes at 5:00 p.m. on Wed., July 18
- Travel to and from Boston and lodging in Boston to be reserved accordingly by LENS leader
- 4-day training, from Oct. 21-24, 2012, to visit, observe and thin-slice selected BES schools in Boston in addition to targeted professional development
- 4-day training, from Feb. 10-13, 2013, to visit, observe and thin-slice selected BES schools in Los Angeles in addition to targeted professional development
- Structured online discussion of articles, books, case studies and research with LENS cohort and BES staff
- 5 Skype calls (September, November, January, March, May) with LENS cohort and BES staff
- Direct email access to BES team
- Leadership coaching with local mentor
- On-site visit by BES staff member for observation and formal evaluation report in spring 2013
For more information, contact Matthew Brunell, Chief Operating Officer, at email@example.com or 617-227-4545 x213.