The Typical Fellow
Is the BES Fellowship right for you?
The rigorous Building Excellent Schools Fellowship is designed for high-capacity individuals who are deeply committed to fundamentally changing urban education. If you have a track record of exceptional impact in your profession or in your community — and you share our core belief that academic achievement should drive all aspects of a school — then we encourage you to join us in Building Excellent Schools.
What experience do Fellows have?
BES Fellows represent a vast range of professional experience in such fields as education, business, nonprofit management, law, and public policy. Classroom experience is not a prerequisite for selection.
What characteristics do Fellows share?
BES Fellows can be described as:
- strategic thinkers
- strong communicators
- highly flexible
- relentless achievers
- demanding of themselves and others
- always ready to learn
It is essential that Fellows be in alignment with the BES approach, which is based on the following ten core principles:
- Firm belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels
- Clear, outcome‐focused mission, understood by all, evidenced throughout the school
- Highly visible leader, ensuring all are focused on the mission
- Structured learning environment and organization
- Classroom practices promote continuity and predictability across the school
- Frequent internal assessments with data to drive instruction
- Strong discipline code enforced by all
- Clear and frequent communications with parents regarding student performance
- Strong curriculum focus on skill mastery leading to conceptual understanding and application
- Extended school day and school year
- If you meet these criteria, we invite you to consider applying to the BES Fellowship.