BES Summer Leaders Internship
Accelerated Pathway to the BES Fellowship
The BES Summer Leaders Internship is for qualified individuals who wish to develop their leadership capacity and eventually pursue a career in entrepreneurial school leadership through the BES Fellowship, a rigorous yearlong training that prepares individuals to design, found, and lead their own high-performing, urban charter schools.
BES Summer Leaders receive training in Boston on leading a high-performing charter school from the expert staff at Building Excellent Schools. Then, they spend 20 days completing an intensive, hands-on residency at one of the nation’s strongest urban charter schools, learning directly from BES school leaders what it takes to lead a charter school. Throughout the internship, Summer Leaders work on a capstone project that supports their residency site.
At the end of the summer, select Summer Leaders may be invited to participate in the BES Fellowship the following year.
Summer Leaders receive both the theoretical underpinning and the practice-based training on the 10 core principles of every high performing BES school:
- Firm belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels
- Clear, outcome-focused mission, understood by all, and evidenced throughout the school
- Highly visible leader, ensuring all are focused on mission
- Structured learning environment and organization
- Classroom practices promoting continuity and predictability across the school
- Frequent internal assessments with data to drive instruction
- Strong discipline code enforced by all
- Clear and frequent communications with parents regarding student performance
- Strong curriculum focus on skill mastery leading to conceptual understanding and application
- Extended school day and school year
Profile of a Summer Leader
The ideal Summer Leader will be…
- aligned with the BES approach to urban charter schools.
- seriously considering school leadership.
- a demonstrated leader with a track record of outstanding and measurable results.
- available to participate in orientation and subsequent project dates as Summer Leader.
Components of the Summer Leader’s Experience
A Summer Leader will benefit from…
|Orientation:Leading a High-Performing Charter School |||May 28-30, 2014 in Boston|
- Three-day orientation led by BES Director of Leadership Development, Eileen Callahan.
|Residency:Practical, Hands-On Exposure to a BES School (placement chosen by BES)
||Session One: June 2 – June 27, 2014|
|Session Two: July 7– August 1, 2014|
- Intensive residency working on a project, designed by school leadership and the BES Director of Leadership Development, of importance to the host school and of learning value to the Summer Leader
Deadlines are the same for both sessions.
- $5,000 internship stipend and June Orientation housing/travel are provided.
- Direct e-mail access to BES team.
- Formal work and presentation on a capstone project.
The application process for the BES Summer Leaders Internship is the same as that for the BES Fellowship, which involves completing an online self-study questionnaire and survey prior to submitting your introductory information and resume. Select candidates will then be invited to submit a formal application—a process that involves answering questions via webcam.
The application for the Summer Leaders Internship is now closed.